The challenge of keeping proper upkeep in our homes, particularly on our furniture is a constant struggle. Whether you are living alone or with a family, upholstery cleaning is one of the many essentials to maintain a beautiful, clean-free and healthy home.
What Is Upholstery Cleaning?
An upholstery cleaning is the cleaning and removing of stains, dirt, and oils on the fabric that upholsters the furniture. Though most people think upholstery cleaning is a simple and easy cleaning job, the process of cleaning fragile natural materials like cotton has a lot of challenges to offer.
The Importance of Upholstery Cleaning
- A more improved clean and healthy environment
- Gives good-looking appearance
- Keeps you relax and comfortable
- Saves money
- Longer life to furniture
Steps in Cleaning Upholstered Furniture
Vacuum the upholstery. Routinely schedule a vacuum job for your furniture, keeping up its cleanliness and neatness. Do not forget to suck out the dirt and debris in-between crevices and cracks of cushions, particularly at the arms of the sofa and its backside.
Before treating the fabric to solvents, check for tags or its solvent-based cleaner requirement. Some upholstered fabrics come with fabric requirements on how they should be washed. There are some fabrics that are designed for steam cleaning and dry cleaning, which is important to observe.
Check the cushion and look for letter codes W, S, SW, or X which means for the types of cleaning agents to use:
- W- Water-based cleaning agent
- S- Solvent-based cleaning agent
- SW- Both solvent and water-based cleaning agents
- X- Need cleaning by a professional
You can create a DIY water-based cleaner with dishwashing liquid. Get a spray bottle filled with water, then pour two drops of dish liquid detergent inside. To eliminate odor, you can add a capful of white vinegar with some pinches of baking soda, then shake well.
As a rule, do a pre-test of the detergent mixture in an area of the inconspicuous spot. Use a sponge to dip some detergent mix and apply it to the unnoticeable area. With a cloth, spot dry the area and air dry completely. If you notice some discolorations, discard the detergent mixture and consider calling in professionals, to ensure the fabric is cleaned without damages.
Cleaning Different Types of Furniture
Rule of the Thumb: Always test first any upholstery cleaner or any form of liquid on furniture’s unnoticeable area. Several substances react differently to certain fibers. In this way, it will save you a lot of hassle and mistakes from ruining the furniture.
- Vacuum the upholstery, in-between seams, and corners.
- Spray with cleaner. Dry it off.
- Clean it off using cloth.
- Dust off debris and dirt using a vacuum.
- Gently scrub off with leather cleaner, if not available you may use white vinegar.
- Dry it off.
Prepare a wet cloth with some liquid dish soap or any washing soap on it.
Then scrub it over the leatherette.
Wipe it off with a dry cloth. For some stains, rubbing it off with a polish remover will do.
Upholstery Cleaning Tips
- Have a routine schedule in vacuuming the upholstery to keep it maintained always. Routinely remove dust, surface oil, and dirt to prevent sticking permanently into the fabric.
- When someone spills red wine, soda, or coffee on the furniture clean it immediately with a clean cloth or towel. Avoid rubbing the spilled spot because the stained fluids will penetrate more deeply into the furniture. It is better to blot clean gently.
- Regularly flip over cushions to extend life years of upholstered furniture. Besides making it spick-and-span looking it also helps against wear and tear by maintaining its natural shape.
- One way to get the best cleaning is brushing while vacuuming.
- Some fabrics are sensitive, avoid scrubbing off the cloth. Though the stain removal is effective, the fabric can still weaken in its condition because of the scrubbing.
- In cleaning stains, never allow them to stay dry. Stains are meant to be removed quickly to prevent permanent smudging on the fabric.
- Avoid spot cleaning when removing the stains better to wet off the whole fabric evenly distributed including its arms.
- In removing wide and large stains, work your way towards the center not outwards to prevent more spreading. If you find yourself having difficulty getting the stains and the damage gets worse, calling in the experts may be the best option to consider.
- If you have pets keep them out while doing the cleaning. They can cause more stains rather than helping you while you clean off your furniture.
- Keep the room well-ventilated, it helps a lot while keeping the fabrics dry.
- Try to avoid smoking in the room while cleaning the upholstery because the cigarette smoke can stay and retain in the fabrics.
Naples FL’s Most Trusted Upholstery Cleaning Experts
For stubborn stains and deep upholstery cleaning, contact professional cleaners. DG Cleaning and Carpet LLC have been providing high-quality upholstery cleaning services to residents of Collier County FL including Naples, Estero, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Golden Gate, East Naples, Marco Island, Naples Park, Naples Manor, Pine Ridge, and North Naples. Cleaning properly your upholstery furniture makes your home a beautiful, clean and healthy environment and keeps your furniture life longer.
DG Cleaning and Carpet LLC are experts when it comes to upholstery cleaning. We have years of experience, highly skilled and trained technicians, and are equipped with the latest equipment and devices to deliver the best upholstery cleaning in Naples, Florida.
Others Services We Offered: